Glowbase is an award-winning Swiss startup company that develops cloud solutions for universities and graduate schools. We are looking for a skilled frontend developer with design skills to join our expanding team as a part-time remote member.
We are a Zurich-based „Software-as-a-Service“ provider, busy writing a solid and scalable platform to meet our customer‘s growing needs. We are looking for an extremely reliable and sharp UI all-rounder who is experienced with the Symfony framework, ready to tackle new challenges in an „all hands on deck“ environment.
In this inter-disciplinary role you will be responsible for creating intuitive user front-ends, ranging from initial sketches to final implementation. As a member of a small remote team, you will also have to contribute to the continuous optimization of our internal communication- and DevOps- processes.
Note that this is a "1-person remote contractor" position. No agencies, please.
Your tasks include
- Draft, design and build intuitive, easy-to-use and beautiful frontends for our SaaS platforms
- Build interfaces for new features; from first sketch through programming to final acceptance testing
- Review and improve the fronted and user experience of existing features via small, iterative cycles
- Review and improve the copy of our SaaS platforms (info texts, labels, notifications, etc)
- Design and build web-templates for newsletters, help-desk, website and other customer-facing applications
- Help with the visual design of marketing material (fact sheets, brochures, flyers, info-graphics, charts, ...)
This is you
- You live and breathe "Design", "UX", "TDD“ and „Agile“
- You prefer small iterative cycles over large re-designs or re-launches
- You have at least 3 years of experience designing and developing web frontends based on the Symfony framework
- You are familiar with continuous integration concepts as well as frontend testing frameworks like Casper.js, PhantomCSS, Selenium, etc
- You are a strong communicator with excellent command of the English language
- You are an open-minded, team-oriented personality
- You are reliable, have good discipline and self-management skills
- You are willing and able to work independently and find your own solutions for new problems
- You want to contribute your knowhow to a large project and further develop your skills
Bonus points for
- XSL, XSL-FO, Apache FOP
- Experience working with Jira, Gitlab, Vagrant, Linux systems, ...
- Skills in the PHP / backend development area
- Experience with creating / designing marketing material
- Experience with requirements engineering, user training or customer support
- A sense of humor in hectic times
What we offer
- Remote work (Eastern European time zones preferred)
- Fixed part time contract (20-40%)
- Long-term arrangement with career opportunities
- Agile software development with very short release cycles
- State-of-the-art dev environment (check out https://stackshare.io/glowbase/glowbase)
- Challenging and exciting work in the international academic environment
How to apply
If you love challenges and like to take responsibility, send us a letter of motivation, your CV and a detailed overview of your tech skills. Your documents should tell us why you are the perfect fit for this role and must include:
- proof of your track record: What kind of projects did you work on? In what way did you work on them, what was your contribution? How, when and where did you use the tools and technologies mentioned earlier?
- a portfolio of screenshots, sketches, drafts to illustrate your design skills
- links to reference projects / personal projects / public repositories etc
- your complete contact details
- links to LinkedIn and Github profiles, if available
Glowbase is a full-service solutions provider who wants to contribute to the sustainable improvement of the doctorate. Based on internationally recognized standards and best practices, our cutting-edge online platforms help universities streamline processes and establish a culture of good supervision and accountability.
Our experience with universities in different countries, our broad expertise as well as our knowledge of the common doctoral standards (e.g. ORPHEUS, EUA-CDE) makes us "experts in doctoral administration". We are therefore not just software developers, but also consultants, coaches and supporters.