Wordpress Developer and Administrator - Competitive Salary & Bonus [CLOSED]
We own and run a number of content websites, including a business-to-business directory for the legal Cannabis industry. We do not do client work - these are our sites.
We need a skilled, passionate, organized, growth-oriented developer to bring some order and best practices to each site and our process, and help us grow our portfolio of sites. We have lots of great ideas in the pipeline, and you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in bringing them to fruition.
This fully remote role is a great opportunity for someone to really develop and progress their developer and management skills with the potential to run a team as we grow, bring ideas and enhancements to the table and shape your future and ours. We offer competitive pay plus incentives if you reach targets. There is also an opportunity for growth and equity for the very right person.
About the role
We are looking for a developer who takes pride in what they do, is passionate, experienced, organized and reliable to tame, manage and grow a portfolio of content web sites built with WordPress, and help us create and capture best practices and processes so we may grow our portfolio and your team.
Need to Have:
- 5+ Years Experience
- Time + Project Management Skills - You are fully capable of taking the lead on development projects and achieving project targets; you are able to manage your time and that of others. You are also capable of communicating project status and risks through Asana or other agreed-upon tools.
- Self-motivated with Experience Working Remotely - the ability to work both in teams and independently
- English Communication Skills - Very strong in spoken and written English. Fluent (or close-to fluent)
- General Communication Skills - You understand that we need to be able to communicate with one another regarding methodology, business needs, work assignments and other types of communication to not only get the work done, but strategize on approaches and have fun while doing it! Show us your sense of humor by making your answer to the last question in the application a coding joke.
- Proactivity + Attention to Detail - As the entire team will be working remotely and we will all be depending on online tools to communicate and process projects and tasks, you are proactive. You are never asked for status updates, because your updates are already posted. :)
- Passion + Desire to Learn - Oh, yeah, you have skills, but you are also passionate about what you do and interested in growing your skill set and experience, so you follow and researches the latest trends and best practices.
- Coding/Technology Skills - You can do, understand, know the following:
- HTML/CSS/LESS/SASS - Understand the differences between versions, comfortable with LESS/SASS once set up, familiar with frameworks like Bootstrap.
- PHP - Able to debug PHP, comfortable with actions, hooks, filters, variables and a wide range of codex functions.
- SQL - Able to backup/restore tables and databases, amend records and run basic select/update/delete scripts safely. Experience of basic $wpdb usage.
- Git - Branch management, push to deploy.
- XML, JSON and 3rd party APIs - Able to perform basic 3rd party API integrations, or to debug, fix more complicated ones.
- Cross-platform and cross-browser - Able to resolve advanced cross browser/platform inconsistencies.
- Server Configuration - SSL install on WPEngine or similar managed hosting, error log debugging. Basic understanding of key stack components.
- Responsive - Confident with Responsive techniques.
- Web standards - Familiar with web standards.
- WordPress Skills - You can do, understand, know the following:
- API/codex knowledge - Have strong knowledge; can recall common functions and filters without reference.
- Custom post types - Advanced custom post type generation
- Custom post meta - Able to integrate 3rd party custom post meta libraries or plugins to achieve template customisation.
- Shortcodes - Able to create shortcodes with simple arguments.
- Plugins - Capable of advanced configuration of standard plugins, basic debugging, familiarity with basic configuration of more advanced plugins. Can produce complicated plugins.
- Coding standards - Able to articulate the importance of coding standards, able to write coding standard-compliant code without reference to standards.
- Updates & maintenance - Able to run updates independently.
- Security - Capable of implementing strong security on non-WordPress specialist hosting, understands basic secure coding practices and when to ask for help.
Nice to Have
- SOPs - Experience in following and building internal processes and/or SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures)
- SEO - Able to provide solid but basic advice for on-site optimization. In fact, on the second to last question, please name three technical SEO best practices.
- Analytics - Can integrate with site including tag managers, filters, etc...
Your responsibility will include (but not limited to):
- Design and implement new features and functionality
- Administration and optimisation of the Wordpress installation, themes, plugins and supporting systems
- Work with the CEO to estimate and prioritise development work
- Advise and implement on processes to streamline development and website operations
- Advise on technical improvement opportunities
- Assisting in the recruitment process to build out the team as we grow
- Continuously collaborating with the Co-founders and internal teams in order to share and expand your knowledge.
- Plan and execute site development and maintenance.
- Monitor site performance
- Support the content team to ensure content is updated smoothly and efficiently
- Competitive salary based on experience and enthusiasm and some other word that starts with an e that might be applicable
- We can start with 20 hours per week with the desire to grow this to a full-time role by January 2020 if we find we are a good fit
- Spot and annual incentive bonuses based on individual, team and company targets
- Work where you want, wear what you want - this position is 100% remote
- Working hours are flexible, though we need an overlap of your working hours 6AM to 10AM US EST to answer questions in real-time and be available for scheduled meetings
- Opportunity to be a part of a fast-growing company and grow with it
- Receive reimbursement for training to build your skillset
- Opportunity to manage a business, its processes, and be central to its growth
We are a dispersed team based on the east coast of the US (New York City) and the Costa del Sol in Spain (Málaga) with content creators and customer support in the Philippines and Eastern Europe.
Benefits of Working with Us:
We are open to new ideas and approaches. We are casual in our approach, but serious about our business and those that we invite to take this journey with us. If you are excited about expanding your skills and trying new things, we are open to that and are willing to incorporate those ideas into our roadmap if it makes business sense. We are seeking someone to grow with us and see this growing into a Lead position and equity for the very right fit.
How to Apply
Apply here on JobRack and include in your first message why you think you are a good fit for the role.
We'll then review and for people we want to take forward will send you a link to a more detailed application form.
Please ensure you review this advert in detail when you complete the application form. Attention to detail is super important.
Many thanks and good luck!