We're looking for an experienced developer for a long-term, full time position with room to grow! We want full time, but will pay hourly. So if you can work more, we can pay you more.
Please read the full job description before contacting us.
= Required Skills =
- Proficient English reading and writing.
- Open and willing for customer facing support - either you have experience, or you’re willing to perform tasks for customer support. When a case comes in, this involves:
- Analysis of customer problem
- Empathy with customer and attempt to fully understand customer issue
- If there is an information or understanding gap, figuring out a way to get the information, or to assist the customer to find the necessary information required to help you proceed with further problem analysis.
- Identify the problem as caused by our software, or by customer configuration or customer environment.
- Communication with customer on the next required steps (either by us or by them)
- Recognise that customer facing support will assist you in learning our company culture and our mission. It helps you to fully appreciate all sides of the product and to build software that minimizes customer support issues and creates a smoother customer UX.
- Customer support is priority task, but when not performing customer support (of which there is not a high volume) product development is next priority.
- Development tasks will include high-level software design and implementation. Experience solely of building websites is not sufficient. Expertise required includes:
- Planning, architecture and design of software systems.
- Adaptation of design and application towards low-tech, restrictive web hosting environments.
- Experience with highly structured languages including C++, Java. A working knowledge of WordPress/PHP is a definite benefit
- Day-to-day coding/work will be in PHP, but in a highly structured system.
- When applying for this position, applicants must review our WordPress plugin (https://github.com/FernleafSystems/Shield) and suggest at least 1 significant coding improvement and explain reasons why. More than 1 suggestion is recommended.
- Experience and familiarity with modern code design principles, such as a IoC, DI,
- Working experience of Git version control.
= Reporting and Accountability =
A written report will be provided at the end of every day.
The report will:
- Take no more than 15 minutes to complete and would ideally be updated throughout the day.
- Include: all tasks that have been engaged with - i.e. started, completed, committed, handed-off or delegated
- Include: a full list of all challenges and problems encountered and estimated time spent to solve them on your own.
- If a problem (not a task) took more than 20 minutes to solve, was help sought? If so, how? If not, why not?
- If the problem was solved on your own, was it documented? If it wasn’t documented, why not?
- Include: descriptions of particular needs you have for further training. Please list any areas that you don’t understand and need further clarification.
- Knowledge gaps are expected.
- Failure to overcome these gaps is not accepted. Steps must always be taken to resolve any blocks to progress. We will work closely with you to resolve problems or blockages, but you must communicate with the team.
- Important: Also outline the top 3-5 tasks planned for the following day, in priority order.
- Full Time Monthly salary of $10 / hour, after initial trial period
- Trial Period: 1 month at $9 / hour
- Paid 25-28th of each month
- Paid directly into bank account - you will need your international BIC or SWIFT bank account code prepared.
- Salary will be reviewed at minimum every 12 months… but may be reviewed more often based on performance.
= Daily Tasks =
- Review and check for customer support items/email in all support sources. Sources include:
- Our primary Helpdesk software
- Social Media e.g. Facebook / Twitter
- WordPress.org for our plugin’s support request
- Respond to customer support requests; or, if you are comfortable after initial training and understand the problem presented and know how to ask for further information and what further information to ask for, respond directly without intervention from supervisor.
- After resolving customer support requests:
- If the problem was a coding bug, log this in the documentation
- If the problem was a UX issue or lack of understanding, ensure there is a support desk FAQ/article to cover this, with screenshots required.
- If this is a repeat issue, create an email template for future responses.
- Development will be based on the priority tasks as represented in the development tracking tool.
- If you are suggesting an improvement to our security plugin as mentioned earlier, applicants for this job post who submit a github pull request at the time of application with the suggested improvements will be given higher priority.
- Complete the daily report.
= Weekly Tasks =
As well as a daily reporting, and short weekly report on your progress in requested. This will need to include:
- Details of ongoing and repeated challenges that you need more help with, that you feel is preventing you from doing your best work.
- What you feel is your biggest achievement of the week.
- What you feel you could have improved or done better during the week and how you will improve this for next week
- A total of hours worked for the week.
- A full description of tasks planned for the following week.
= Security =
Security is a top priority - please do not underestimate this.
Use of the LastPass Password Manager is required. Credentials for any systems must never stored on your local computer or in any plain text files.
A full antivirus scan must be performed on your computer and a report sent to us to show that an active anti-virus program is running, databases are up-to-date, and the machine is clean. All applicants must supply this screenshot at the time of application - this ensures you've read this.
VeraCrypt is software for the creation of encrypted disks. Use of this will be demonstrated to you, and you will be expected to use this for storing all and any data relating to your work. It would be very beneficial to familiarise yourself with this software
= Stretch Tasks =
There is huge potential to grow with us as the business itself grows. Team members who put in the extra special effort to please customers, show initiative and a willingness to really help and do their best work will be definitely recognised.
We’re looking for people who are inspired to work hard and all their effort into creating something that helps our customers. Evidence of this will be rewarded with further responsibilities and more compensation.
If you want to find an easy job that you can sit quietly and not really try, this isn’t for you. Your efforts, work quality, and motivations will become obvious over time. You have a big opportunity to excel and we hope that you do.
There are no particular stretch tasks to detail now, but they will become obvious as we grow further and your willingness to tackle problems and create great solutions will be important.