What’s the opportunity?
Hi, I’m Jessica Malnik, and I'm the founder and chief content strategist at JM Content Group. I'm looking to hire a talented social media manager to join our small, but mighty team to help take our tiny company to the next level.
A little about JM Content Group - founded in the fall of 2018, we work with B2B SaaS and productized service businesses. We help clients with content marketing strategy and writing.
In addition, we also run our own content websites - including The Remote Work Tribe (a.k.a. RWT) that we use to dogfood our ideas and processes. (We don’t just help clients. We are using all of our same strategies and processes to run and grow our own content sites too!)
That’s where you come in.
If you might have guessed by now, this isn’t an ordinary, client-facing role.
You’ll specifically be in charge of growing one of our own sites (RWT). Your north star will be growing our email list and social media following.
Why work with us?
You’ll work closely with me (Jessica!) - the founder - and be given the tools and support you need to make an impact from day one.
I’m creating the role for someone that I wish I would have had when I first started to work in digital marketing a decade ago. For the right candidate, this position offers a ton of growth opportunities.
You’ll also have the opportunity to lead your own projects, document your learnings (on RWT), and see the impact of the work that you do from day one.
Plus, you’ll get paid to hang out on Twitter, Instagram, and email (Seriously!). A significant chunk of this role will be chatting with remote-first team leaders and curating content in a fast-growing industry - remote leadership/management.
To succeed in this role, you must have a passion for social media marketing, be a natural connector, and have a growth mindset.
What you will be doing?
- Create and manage our content calendar across Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, and email.
- Be active on Twitter, Instagram, and email (Both starting new conversations and replying to comments)
- Write 2 curated email newsletters per month
- Curate and promote a weekly blog roundup of interesting remote leadership reads.
- Work closely with our team on strategic marketing initiatives.
- Repurpose existing content assets into new formats. (Ex: creating audiograms, Twitter threads, animated gifs, etc,).
- Identify new social media and email list growth opportunities and connect with influencers to expand our audience and grow our email list.
- Work with the founder (Jessica) to create content for her own social media channels in her own tone and style.
- Participate in weekly 1:1s with me (the founder).
- Participate in biweekly team meetings to improve our inbound and outbound marketing efforts.
Who is this role for?
- A natural connector - You thrive in a role where you have the chance to meet, connect with, and chat with smart people online.
- Storyteller - You are a creative at heart, and love to find new ways to tell stories across different mediums (such as through Instagram stories, tweets, email newsletters, etc).
- Curiosity - You are always tinkering with something. The idea of being given free reign to come up with ideas and then be able to run experiments on the fly excites you. This isn’t a corporate role where every single post or reply needs to go through three levels of management and legal. 😉
- Self-motivated - We’re a 100% remote team, and have been from the get-go (since 2018!). You must be able to manage your own workload, work autonomously, and take full responsibility for the projects you are working on.
- Problem solver - If you run into a roadblock or don't know how to do something, your first instinct is to Google it. If you are still struggling, you reach out to the team with some suggested ideas for how we might be able to solve the problem.
- Excellent communication skills - We use Trello, Slack, Loom, and Zoom to communicate and collaborate on projects and tasks.
- Basic WordPress chops - I don't expect you to know how to code, but you should be comfortable uploading and formatting a blog post in WordPress
- Reliable - You do what you say you are going to do. You never miss deadlines.
- Coachable - You actively solicit feedback and want to improve at your craft.
- Prior remote work experience - You have AT LEAST 6 months of remote work experience. This could be from a full-time job or freelancing.
Nice to haves:
- Prior experience leading or working on influencer marketing strategies and campaigns
- Familiar with any of these tools - Ahrefs, Canva, Premiere Pro, Descript, ConvertKit, Later, Trello, and Google Analytics
- You have prior experience working as a journalist or have a college degree in journalism, advertising, or marketing.
What’s in it for you?
- Work from anywhere - This is a 100% remote opportunity. I don’t care where you work as long as you complete your work on time and have a minimum of 2 hours of overlap with U.S. business hours. (i.e. for calls and replying to social media comments)
- Note: This role is better suited for someone in North America, South America, Europe, or Africa. However, if you are based in Australia or Asia and can work early mornings or late nights, you are welcome to apply.
- Work with a passionate and innovative team in a calm work environment - We work hard, but we’re also not performing open-heart surgery either. You aren’t expected to be on-call or replying to emails and social media mentions when you aren’t working.
- Generous bonuses available based on performance
- Receive weekly mentorship and coaching from me (the founder!)
- This is an independent contractor position.