Skilled, Passionate, Creative WordPress Developer for Cannabis Industry Member Community
Did you know that Canada just legalized recreational Cannabis use nationwide? Well maybe you did... but did you know that Canada is now only one of two nations in world to have such a law?
As countries shift their views and laws on medicinal and recreational Cannabis use, it has created a rapidly growing market, but there are still are a lot of restrictions on marketing, distribution, taxes and other obstiicales that other industries do not face. We created Cannabis Stack to help these businesses find trusted partners, reliable information, and potential customers with a global business-to-business directory and events calendar for the legal Cannabis industry.
But that was meant to be only the beginning... we need your help in taking this work to the next level by developing a feature-rich, interactive member community, to help our members share information, develop relationships and grow their business in this industry. We need your skills, commitment, innovation and creativity to help us improve our existing offering and create our vision of a robust online community with gamification and reputation-building tactics, matching features and other great ideas WE have yet to think of!
Time and Project Management - You are fully capable of taking the lead on development projects and achieving project targets; you are able to communicate project status and risks through Asana or other agreed upon tools.
Ability to learn new software tools and systems quickly - We use a variety of systems and tools to communicate amongst the team and with our customers. From Google Sheets, Docs and Drive, Asana, Slack and others, you are a rockstar and can adapt quickly.
Excellent to Fluent Spoken English - You understand that we need to be able to communicate with one another regarding methodology, business needs, work assignments and other types of communication to not only get the work done, but strategize on approaches. There may be a need for some very light customer interaction via email or a ticketing system, so your customer service skills and your sense of humor will be put to use. Show us by making your last answer in the application a coding joke.
Self-motivated, Organized and Willing to Ask Questions - As the entire team will be working remotely and we will all be depending on our online tools to communicate and process projects and tasks, you are a master at organization with a foundation of self-motivation. Our system requires us to be proactive, communicate and be able to ask questions. You have no problems speaking up when you do not understand a task or assignment and do not need to be asked for status updates.
Coding/Technology - You have skills, but you are also passionate about what you do and interested in growing your skill set and experience. You can do, understand, know the following:
- HTML/CSS/LESS/SASS - Understand the differences between versions, comfortable with LESS/SASS once set up, familiar with frameworks like Bootstrap.
- PHP - Able to debug PHP, comfortable with actions, hooks, filters, variables and a wide range of codex functions.
- SQL - Able to backup/restore tables and databases, amend records and run basic select/update/delete scripts safely. Experience of basic $wpdb usage.
- Git - Branch management, push to deploy.
- XML, JSON and 3rd party APIs - Able to perform basic 3rd party API integrations, or to debug, fix more complicated ones.
- Cross-platform and cross-browser - Able to resolve advanced cross browser/platform inconsistencies.
- Server Configuration - SSL install on WPEngine or similar managed hosting, error log debugging. Basic understanding of key stack components.
- Responsive - Confident with Responsive techniques.
- Web standards - Familiar with web standards.
- Code testing - Run unit tests, automated front-end tests.
- API/codex knowledge - Is strong in this knowledge, can recall common functions and filters without reference.
- Custom post types - Advanced custom post type generation
- Custom post meta - Able to integrate 3rd party custom post meta libraries or plugins to achieve template customisation.
- Shortcodes - Able to create shortcodes with simple arguments.
- Templating - Able to create new templates from scratch.
- Themes - Able to create advanced child themes or from-scratch themes that match designs to pixel perfection.
- Plugins - Capable of advanced configuration of standard plugins, basic debugging, familiarity with basic configuration of more advanced plugins. Can produce complicated plugins.
- Coding standards - Able to articulate the importance of coding standards, able to write coding standard-compliant code without reference to standards.
- Multilingual - Able to install and configure.
- WooCommerce - Able to install and configure.
- Multisite - Able to install and configure.
- Updates & maintenance - Able to run updates independently.
- CMS - Has advanced usage.
- Security - Capable of implementing strong security on non-WordPress specialist hosting, understands basic secure coding practices and when to ask for help.
- Email marketing - Can integrate with WordPress.
- SEO - Able to provide solid but basic advice for on-site optimization.
- Industry Knowledge - Able to tell us on the application form when asked for extra information, the first country to legalize recreational marijuana use.
- Analytics - Can integrate with site including tag managers, filters, etc...
Where We Are
We are a dispersed team based on the east coast of the US (New York City) and the Costa del Sol in Spain (Málaga) with content creators and customer support in the Philippines.
Benefits of Working with Us
We are open to new ideas and approaches. If you are excited about expanding your skills and trying new things, we are open to that too and are willing to incorporate those ideas into our roadmap if it makes business sense. We are seeking someone to grow with us and see this growing into a Lead position.
The Nitty Gritty
- This offer is for a contract/hourly part-time position that could lead to a full-time.
- Hourly wage is commensurate with experience and enthusiasm.
- The role is 100% remote, you can work from anywhere you choose, so long as it has a strong internet connection.
- The hours in which you work are flexible. We do want an overlap with the East coast of the United States for approximately 20% of your time to answer questions in real-time and be available for scheduled meetings.
How to apply
Please fill out this application: Application Form
But before you do, there is one thing you should prepare in advance and that is a cover letter in a PDF format. You will be able to submit it in the Application Form. In your cover letter, include the usual points, but please be sure to include why you think you are a good fit for the role. And please review the requirements section and the bonus skills for information regarding the last two questions on the application.