We need someone to step into a managing editor role, overseeing the production and publishing of amazing content.
This role will be 100% location independent, allowing you to live anywhere in the world! We are one of the biggest content websites geared towards the home barista, and we're planning for an even stronger growth over the next 12 months. To do this, we’re expanding our teams.
If you’re an editor/writer type with management experience who would like to improve his/her skills on a business that already has great traction; if you’re passionate about coffee, this is your gig!
Our website teaches coffee aficionados (let’s call them ‘home baristas’) how to source, grind, brew and enjoy amazing coffee at home. It’s not about saving money or getting a caffeine fix; It’s about the process and ritual of brewing coffee. It's a passion and an identity.
We serve this market with one simple goal: to help the home barista master the art of brewing perfect coffee at home.
What you'll be responsible for:
- Update and improve our editorial process to remove bottlenecks in the publishing process.
- Create detailed content briefs for writers.
- Manage content creation team to ensure we publish high quality content each month consistently.
- Brainstorm and manage the creation of blog graphics (in partnership with a design service).
- Occasionally, you'll jump in and write some content yourself.
Must-have job requirements:
Here's a list of must-have job requirements, with an explanation of each.
- A true coffee expert: At the very least, you should have experience brewing coffee (not just french press or instant coffee). Ideally, you were (or still are) a barista, with deep, intricate knowledge of coffee and the specialty coffee market. Basically if we ask you to explain why the Kalita Wave brew tastes different from that of a V60 or the Viet Phin, we want you to be able to provide a detailed explanation of why this is the case (in lay-mans terms)
- Strong writing skills: You need to be a great writer (not a creative writer) with 2+ years of writing experience. Think simple, to-the-point language that is powerful, engaging and educating in nature. Our tone-of-voice is often simple and playful. Fluff and filler language is never tolerated. It makes us, and our audience, angry.
- Stronger editing skills: Everyone can write (..some better than others). But fewer people can edit content into a singularly strong, coherent article. As the editor, your main goal will be to remove anything that wastes our readers time and/or mis-informs them. You'll also be required to check facts, sources and look out for plagiarism.
- Team management skills: You'll be re-designing and overseeing the day-to-day editorial operations, so you need to know how to manage and lead a team of content creators.
- Ability to perform well with or without detailed directions: You'll be given the outcomes and asked to design the vehicles for reaching them. Nobody will be holding your hand or doing your work; but there will be someone to help when you really need it.
- WordPress management skills: You should know your way around WordPress. After all; you will be hitting ‘publish’. You definitely do not need to be a programmer; but you should posses basic Wordpress CMS management skills.
- High levels of attention to detail: “How you do anything is how you do everything” - this is the maxim we believe in. Reject average. It must drive you crazy to see things done half-arsed.
- Growth Mindset: You must be hungry to develop in this role both personally and professionally. This is non-negotiable.
Nice-to-have job requirements: (not required; but welcome)
- Basic graphic design skills - experience using tools such as Canva and Photoshop.
- Photography skills
- Video recording and editing skills
- Experience with an SEO tools
Must have personality traits:
- You are growth minded - hungry to learn new skills and develop yourself.
- Honesty and integrity.
- You are hungry for achievement.
- You take pride in your work.
- You take initiative and you figure things out.
- A competitive monthly salary (negotiable based on skills and experience)
- Work remotely and choose your own hours (#digitalnomad)
- 20 days of paid vacation per year
- You’ll have the opportunity to suggest your own ideas, make improvements and learn new skills.
- Free coffee beans and gear (occasionally - depending on your location)
- Ongoing learning and development budget
How to Apply
- Apply via the Jobrack job board.
- List the 'must have' job requirements in your application, using bullet points (just the requirements; not the explanation of the requirement).
- Next to each requirement, write 1 sentance (maximum) explaining how your fulfil that requirement.